Tips & Tricks

Tips & Tricks of using Shutterfly

This is a public Forum  public

Topic

Matt Ketchum
    Printing on the spine of my photo books?
    Topic posted October 5, 2010 by Matt KetchumNovice, last edited May 15, 2012 
    4755 Views, 5 Comments
    Title:
    Printing on the spine of my photo books?
    Content:
    <p>I just started doing this with my photo books and I love it.&nbsp; Did you know that you can print on the spine of the book, or even put a photo on the spine of the book?&nbsp; I love being able to put a title on my book that I'm able to see without having to pull my books off the shelf.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>First a quick caveat:&nbsp; you can only print on the spines of Custom Path books with hard photo covers or padded photo covers.&nbsp; Sorry, no Simple Path.&nbsp; And sorry, no leather covers.</p>
    <p>Here's how you do it:</p>
    <p>When you're editing a Custom Path book, click on the "Cover" tab in the top middle of the page.&nbsp; Then, make sure that either "Hard photo cover" or "Padded photo cover" is selected from the "Cover type" drop down menu that shows up in the top left-hand corner of the page.&nbsp; In the editing window on the right, you should now see an image of the front cover, back cover, and spine of the book.&nbsp; Click on the spine of the book and you should be able to edit the text box there - or you can click on the spine and then use the tabs on the left of the screen to choose the layout that lets you put a photo on the spine, or a background with a contrasting color and texture.</p>
    <p>Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!</p>

Comment

• HenryB

Hi Matt,

This is a great tip. I've been using the spine for text. However, I'll definitely add a photo to the spine of the next book I do.

Thanks,

Henry

• Shannon

I have done both, add text and tried out adding a picture (did this with my scenery book). Great tip as adding the text to the spine is a great way of know which book is which when going to retrieve. Thanks

• Ann Abbott

I have always put text on the spin of my books.  I have put photos too to make a wrap around effect between the front and back covers with the same photograph.  You can also make the spine its own color.  I do that to give my covers contrast by making the spin a lighter or darker color than the covers.

• Tiffany

Ditto as previous posters. They both look very cool. The fatter the photobook (more pages), the more creative I can get with the spine :o)

• NancyP

I had no idea you could add a photo. Going to have to try that on the next book.