Photo Books

Need help with your book? You've come to the right place!

This is a public Forum  public

Topic

samantha herrmann
    Can't open and edit photo book!!
    Topic posted June 21, 2013 by samantha herrmannJunior Member 
    3372 Views, 38 Comments
    Title:
    Can't open and edit photo book!!
    Content:
    <p>
    I have been working on this 50 page photo book for several days and many hours. This morning I logged it and clicked on my photo book and all it did was take me to a preview page and the only option was to order the book. Here&#39;s the problem, i am not even done&nbsp; with the book! There are many pages that are blank still! I tried the &quot;make a new version&quot; option but it didnt do anything! If anyone has a solution for this problem I would greatly appreciate it!!!</p>
    Image:

Answer

• samantha herrmann

Ok so I figured out my own issue! If anyone else has this problem when you click on your project and its on the page that only lets you order it go ahead and click order and then it will take you to a page where you put in the quantity, instead of doing that click preview in the top right corner and it should take you back to the editing page!

I hope this helps someone!

• Robert Cope

Thank you Samantha!  I'm also trying to finish a book and ran into this issue today.  Are you like me and running Windows 8 and using IE10?  This issue happens on my Win 8 and Win 8 RT machines using IE10.  Doesn't happen on Windows 7 machine using IE10.  When I talked to Tech Support there suggestion to resolve was to stop using IE...  Anyways thanks for the tip!  Now I can finish my project!

• samantha herrmann

You are welcome! And Yeah! I am using Windows 8, so that is the problem? That is strange! They need to fix that. I tried to contact tech support and they didn't help me so I had to figure it out. I am glad the problem is solved!

• Lisa Hudson

I am also using Win 8 and cannot edit. Same issue.  I tried the suggestion above but preview does not allow me to edit either.  I have been using shutterfly for years to create photobooks but at this point am totally frustrated and ready to try someone else.

• Shannon

Lisa, have you tried using a browser other than Internet Explorer?

• Sally B

I had the same problem back in July.  As a web programmer, I looked as the scripts and figured out exactly the the problem was and reported the problem and the solution to Shutterfly support.  They kept closing my ticket as resolved and I kept re-opening.  Since the fix was technically simple, I realized that the issue is not technical but their management.   This problem has been  on going since at least Februry when it was first reported to Shutterfly.  Obviously they don't care about their Windows 8  IE10 customers. 

So my solution was to go to another photobook site. I used mixbook.com , made my book and got it a few weeks ago. The quality was good, I think better than Shutterfly.  The editing online was pretty easy although I don't like their layouts as well as Shutterfly. However doing a custom page was easier.  I will not use shutterfly again.

For your information the problem is that Flash is now embedded in IE10.  When you pick the edit button, their code checks to see if Flash is installed and if so it goes to the editor. If not, it goes to the mobile slide show used by the devices (phones and tablets) that don't provide flash.  The check fails because Flash is not installed but its imbedded.  The easy fix, is to just check the browser and it its IE10 or greater then they know Flash is available. 

Changing to a different browser in Windows 8 should work as long as the browser doesn't have Flash embedded.  I think Shutterfly should fix this and they are stupid not to.

Sally Breckenridge

• Lisa Hudson

How about I go use another photosite that supports IE 10 instead.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Virginia Draeger

Thank You SO MUCH.  I worked on a photo book a couple of months ago and had about 45 pages done, but then got busy with other things.  My laptop died and I bought a new one running Windows 8.  Everytime I would like on my current project, it would load that page where I thought I could only Order the book.  It puts it is mobileSlideview even though I was accessing Shutterfly from Desktop mode in Windows8.  Shutterfly support never offered any suggestions.  I am really grateful.  Otherwise, I was stuck to find a computer with an older version of Windows.  None were convenient for this type of work.  I still have an issue playing my iTunes *** in Windows 8.  A problem for a different forum....

• M-O-T

Wow Samantha!

That is a very helpful post that you posted here!  By coming back here to tell us your solution to your problem!

Thanks so much for this contribution to the Forum!

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Debbie Shelton

Holy Cow!

Thanks so much!  I was having the same problem for 2 days thinking I couldn't edit the book, but you saved my sanity.  Thanks so much for your help!!

Deb

• Rosa Sandoval

OMG!

I'm having the same issue but my photo book is 102 pages with about 30 unused pages and when i clink on preview from the order screen it doesn't pull up my photos.  I am also using W8 but i don't know what IE means.  Can someone explain?

• Sally B

I am having the same problem on W8 with IE10 compatibility.  I have been reporting to support and just get the run around to a problem that has apparently been obvious for awhile.  Thanks for the tip  on how to get around it.  I object to their solution to just use a different browser.  The problem is not flash, it is a problem with their javascript source on the project page.  It will need to be fixed by their programmers. 

IE is the browser that you are using to access shutterfly. 

I am an experienced shutterfly photobook user, but I haven't created on since I got my Windows 8 computer so yesterday I was loading all new pages and scripts. its clearly still there. 

My suggestion is that users continually report the bug to support until that actually address it.

• M-O-T

Rosa!

Did you contact costumer service they are out to make their shutterfly costumers happy. I contacted them many times mostly thru e-mail and I ususally got a response by the next day.  The only thing is you have to explain your problem very clearly so that there cannot be any misunderstandings!

Their hours of operation are: Monday - Friday, 6:00am - 9:00pm (PST)
      Saturday - Sunday, 8:00am - 6:00pm (PST)
      Contact us by Email, Chat with Live Help or call us at: 888.225.7159

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Rosa Sandoval
      Hi M-O-T, I googled IE 10 (internet explorer). So if windows 8 is being used the user needs to not use e I E tile that is on the home page. Instead the user needs to use the IE located in thier desk top.Once i logged out of the IE using the tile and logged back in using the desk top i simply followed the previous sugguestions and was able the work on my photo book. Best of luck. Rosa
    • M-O-T

Hey

that is great Rosa!  You have found a solution to your problem on your own and you have been so kind to share it with the forum, that is very helpful, Thanks so so much!

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Rhiannon Johnson

Unfortunately I don't think I can solve mine. I am on Windows 8 and IE and when I go to my photo book, it just goes to a white screen. If I try clicking on Order or Edit or any of the other options, it goes to the same white screen (no option to select anything). I talked with live chat and he said I have to go to a different computer that doesn't have Windows 8. I don't have another computer - only an iPad which he said also has the same glitch. I am super-disappointed, especially since I can't find anywhere on the site where the user is warned that the application doesn't work with Windows 8. Poor customer experience.

• Ashley Alcazar

I went to google chrome instead of IE and it works! This just happened in IE in the last two days!

• M-O-T

Thanks to Ashley for bringing to us here at the user forum a solution! 

But Rhiannon, did you refer to the posts here where the users used a roundabout way to be able to view the shutterfly site.  does it work for you? I am sure that if you would try to log on with a different computer that has windows 7 you will still be able to see all your photos and photobooks.  It is just a matter of patients until shutterfly fixes up this windows 8 problem!  Also please refer to this post for more solutions.  http://forums.shutterfly.com/posts/0cd977a8f2

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Sally B

Patience... this was posted on July 1 and we are still having the problem on July 23.  When are they going to fix it.

• M-O-T

Sally B WOW!

You are a 100% right this problem shouldn't be taking so long to fix! I wonder if everyone who is experiencing this would call CS and bombard them with phone calls of demands to fix it maybe they will get moving on the fix!  It is quite frustrating not to be able to work with Shutterfly just becuase one has upped to a higher verwion of browser and windows!!

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Shannon

Have you guys tried Rosa's suggestion http://forums.shutterfly.com/comment/19304

• Kayla Jones

Thanks Samantha for your answer! I was having the same problem!

• Sally B

Well, a week ago I submitted a very detailed account of what is happening.  They agreed and said they would send it to engineering and engineering would get back to me.  I am using desktop, Windows 8 IE 10.  The suggestion of going to the order page to start editing didn't work for me.  The problem is that the link (a javascript function) thinks flash is not installed because IE 10 is emedded in IE10 instead of being installed separately.  As a programmer, that is a pretty trivial thing to fix, so I am thinking that the issue is management.  Since I really want to make a photobook of my vacation I am now using mixbook.com .  It has good reviews and is pretty easy to edit in.  I haven't printed yet.  I have not heard from anyone in engineering. They just marked the problem as solved.

Its really a shame that Shutterfly doesn't care about its IE10 users as that platform with become more common as time goes on.  Mixbook doesn't seem to have any problems with iE10.

Sally

• M-O-T

Please be aware of the post by Shannon for all those who are having trouble with the windows 8 & Shutterfly!

http://forums.shutterfly.com/posts/32c1719ec0

Good Luck

M-O-T