Photo Books

Need help with your book? You've come to the right place!

This is a public Forum  public

Topic

Aimee Leukert
    Can't see the bottom of the page!
    Topic posted June 4, 2011 by Aimee LeukertNovice, last edited February 9, 2012 
    3120 Views, 14 Comments
    Title:
    Can't see the bottom of the page!
    Content:
    <p>I'm working on a Custom Path Photo Book and am frustrated because I can't see the bottom of the page! &nbsp;There's no scroll bar on the right hand side, and the bottom...1/2 in? is inaccessible. &nbsp;So, for instance, I can't even click on the "customize this page" link on the far left because I can't see down that far... The first week or so that I was working on it, it was fine, but since then, the scroll bar has disappeared... I've tried Safari and Firefox on both Mac and PC... Help!</p>

Answer

• HenryB

Hi Aimee,

I've completed 5 New Custom Path books and I'm almost done with my sixth. I have not seen what you are seeing and I can't seem to be able to duplicate it. I'm using Firefox 4.0.1.

Thus, if you have been working on a single book, please create a new book to see if the in progress book is some how corrupted. If a new book is fine, then try making a new version of the original book.

Also, if all computers you tried are on the same network, please power cycle your router leaving it off for 15 second to clear its cache. I've seen many strange things clear after a router power cycle.

Other than that, please contact Shutterfly's Customer Service.

Please remember that this is a users' forum which means that most answers, like this one, are posted by Shutterfly users.

Good luck.

HenryB (A Shutterfly user)

• Aimee Leukert

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  Just tried to create a new book, and same thing!!  Just to be more exact, I can't see anything (on the layout tab) past "Flip Layout".  Will try to turn on and off the router next.  Hmmm.

• Aimee Leukert

Yeah - power cycling the router did nothing either.  =(  

• HenryB

Well, I'm at a loss. Perhaps Shutterfly's Customer Service can help.

Here's what I normally see:

I have a Toshiba laptop and it has a keyboard zoom. If I use the keyboard zoom to zoom in, this is what I see:

I'm not saying this is what is happening to you especially since you have used different computers, but this is the only way I can duplicate what I think you are seeing.

Good luck.

• Aimee Leukert

Thanks again for your quick response.  Right before I read your reply, I, too, tried to zoom out some (I'm working on a macbook) - and when I zoom out as far as I can go - as in, all of the other type on the page is super small - I can get as low as the "Add Text Box" on the bottom left hand corner... But I still can't see "Customize page" or the scroll bar underneath the pages/pictures tab.  So yes, I can see a bit more than what you have in that second screen shot, but similar in that there's NO WAY TO GET TO THE BOTTOM...!  I keep automatically looking for a scroll bar, but there's none.  SO frustrated because I'm wanting to customize most of my pages, and so can't really go on until I figure this out.  Have an email in to Customer Support already, so will see what they have to say.... thanks! 

• TKJHO

I think the problem is probably that your MacBook screen is smaller with a lower resolution, and the page is designed for a higher resolution screen.

When I use a netbook with screen resolution of only 1024 x 600, I cannot see the bottom of most pages. It's not a problem for those with vertical scrollbars. For those without, I have to hide the bottom taskbar, and also set it to full screen (press F11 in Firefox) to remove the menu bar, tool bars etc to get all the 600 lines for the page content, and sometimes that's not enough.

If you know how to set your MacBook screen to a higher resolution, I suggest you try it. The resolution right now is probably the native resolution of your screen and gives you the best pictures. A higher resolution setting will not look as good but serves what you want to do. You can always revert back to the present setting afterwards. In PCs, go to the Control Panel to set it.

• Douglas Hackney

I think you will find this is a browser issue rather than a screen resolution issue.

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1200.

I had the same problem using Firefox 4.0.1 on Windows 7 - I couldn't see the lower part of the browser window.

I had no trouble seeing the entire window, including all the options in the lower left corner, using Internet Explorer 9.0.1.

• Lindy Freeland

Aimee, same interface problems here! Did you ever hear from tech support?

The bottom of the page is always cut off on my browsers on BOTH my Macbook Pro OSX 10.6 and my PC Windows 7: Firefox 5, Google Chrome 13, and Safari 5. I tried every single display resolution available on both my machines -- from 800 x 600 all the way up to 1920 x 1200 -- to no avail. 

Well, after reading this thread, I dusted off Internet Explorer 9 on my PC to give it a shot and whaddya know... the interface displays properly! There are things down there at the bottom of the Shutterfly page I didn't even know about, like the Customize page feature (!!!). Wish I would have seen that a week ago when I started my first project. Sheesh.

So, one could argue that it is indeed a browser issue, but in my humble opinion Shutterfly should be more thoughtful to test and improve their interface for more universal compatibility. And if other people using the current Firefox, Chrome, and Safari browsers don't have this problem, great for them, but unfortunately not for me. I was hoping to be able to work on my Shutterfly book on my Macbook Pro laptop for the benefit of mobility, but it appears for now that I am limited to my desk working on the PC with IE 9. It's too bad that NONE of the browsers on my Mac display the interface properly. That seems like an egregious oversight in my opinion.

If anyone has a suggestion for some other current browser to try on my OSX 10.6 (barring Firefox, Chrome, and Safari), please let me know.

Best to all,

• Lindy Freeland

Update: I should note that Flash is updated to the latest version on all the browsers I tried. Also, I just installed Opera 11.5 on my Mac, but it does not display the bottom of the Shutterfly project page either. The search for a compatible Mac browser continues...

• Roger (Worthy)

Hi Lindy,

A interesting and unusual word is "egregious". I don't recall that I've ever read it before.

I think it means "Outstanding or Monumental in a bad way".

It's surprising what you learn on Shutterfly.

Thanks.

Roger A Shutterfly User.

• HenryB

Hi All,

I'm now seeing a scroll bar at least with Firefox 3.6 and Flash 10.3 on Windows 7 and with Android 3.0 and the default browser (I think Google Chrome).

I decreased the size of a Firefox window on my laptop and a scroll bar appeared at some point as shown here:

My netbook which has a screen size of 1024X600 and was too small in the past to see the bottom of the screen except by eliminating browser toolbars and auto hiding the window's taskbar. Now, I see a scroll bar as shown here:

Finally, my android tablet has a scroll bar as shown here:

The interesting thing is that I downloaded Firefox for Android, but I couldn't edit a custom path book because I couldn't install Flash because there was not a compatible version even though there is one for the default browser.

My conclusion is that things are changing and you might want to try again.

• Jessie Farkas

I have made numerous photo books in Shutterfly.  I also was having this problem.  I am just using my Dell mini notebook.

I right clicked on the taskbar at the bottom of the page.  Then clicked on the Properties for it.

Taskbar Location on screen:  I selected RIGHT.  Then it doesn't show up at the bottom and cover up the part of the needed screen.

Hope that helps you too.

• Jessie Farkas

I am trying to make a photo book with newsletter pages 8.5 x 11 inch Vertical layout per page??  Why only on the horizontal??

• M-O-T

Hi Jessie

This is a wonderful idea to post into the Suggestions & Feedback section of the SHutterfly forum.  The 8.5x11 album should be offered also in Protrait form not only in landscape!

Good Luck

M-O-T