Photo Books

Need help with your book? You've come to the right place!

This is a public Forum  public

Topic

Val
    Custom Path won't load
    Topic posted June 14, 2011 by ValNovice , last edited February 9, 2012
    2919 Views, 13 Comments
    Title:
    Custom Path won't load
    Summary:
    Custom Path won't load
    Content:
    <p>I've tried using the new Custom Path, but once I click on the photo book size it never moves past the "Just a Moment" screen.&nbsp; (I have the most current version of Adobe Flash, and I've tried both IE 8&nbsp;and Firefox 4.0.1)&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Has anyone else had this issue?&nbsp; How did you fix it?</p>

Answer

• Roger (Worthy)
      The first thing we suggest when we see this sort of problem is for you to follow these steps:
      • Do a virus scan and an ad-ware scan on your computer. I use McAfee and Ad-Aware
      • Delete the browser cache. On IE it's at Tools > Internet options > Delete > Delete
      • Reboot your computer and Modem/Router
      Then Select Custom Path again.
      Please let us know if this advice answered your query by replying to this thread. This way we will all learn from your experience.

Roger (A Shutterfly user)

==================
      This is a user to user forum.
      I am a retired IT Executive and Software Developer. I do not work for Shutterfly but have been using Shutterfly since 2008 when MSN Groups closed. My main area of expertise is Share Sites although I am familar with other aspects of the Shutterfly environment.

If you would prefer to ask Shutterfly this question then contact Customer Support: http://shutterfly-2.custhelp.com/app/ask

==================
    • Val

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the recommendation.  Unfortunately, I tried the things you listed above and it still won't move past the Just a Moment screen. 

Do you have any more recommendations?

I appreciate your help!

• Shannon

Hi Val,

Sorry to hear about this! We'll need to do some live troubleshooting with you - please give CS a call at 888-225-7159 and ask to be transferred to the corporate office.

• Allan shutterfly

Trying to create my first custom book and same for me, using both Firefox and IE in Windows.  Flash working fine for everything else.  I guess I'll just get my photo book elsewhere.

• Roger (Worthy)

Val,   Did you contact Shutterfly and what did they advise?

Allan,   Did you call the number that Shannon gave Val?

Thanks

Roger

• Val

Hi Roger,

I finally had a chance to call tech support.  They said it was either a firewall, router/modem or internet connection issue.  After checking all of this it is still not working.  They were able to confirm that it was not a flash issue, as customer service previously suggested, since I was able to load simple path.  I guess when I have more time I'll have to call them back to see if they have any more suggestions.

Hopefully I'll get this fixed sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

• Allan shutterfly

too much efffort.  I'll just go elsewhere if no one posts answer soon

• Roger (Worthy)
      Try setting Tools > Compatibility View in IE 8 or 9.
      Roger
    • Gigi

I am also having this problem and tried ALL the troubleshooting and tried Google Chrome, IE, and Mozilla.  I am getting this error...

Webpage error details (in IE)

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; BO1IE8_v1;ENUS)
      Timestamp: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:37:26 UTC

Line: 49
      Char: 5
      Code: 0
      URI: http://www.shutterfly.com/custompath/viewEdit.sfly?fid=f002006cb7c2241f2a944dfefaeb216b

Can you help me please?

• HenryB

Hi Gigi,

For this issue, you really need to contact Shutterfly Customer Service.

Please note what Shannon said in her post above:

"Hi Val,

Sorry to hear about this! We'll need to do some live troubleshooting with you - please give CS a call at 888-225-7159 and ask to be transferred to the corporate office."

Good luck.

HenryB (A Shutterfly user)

• Justin Greer

I've finally found a simple solution to this.  You don't need to contact customer support, and it's not an issue with viruses/cache/versions/etc.

The solution is to go to your adobe flash settings (search google for "flash settings" and the first link will be Adobe's page that loads/shows the settings and lets you change them).  Go to "Global Storage Settings" (the second tab) and enable "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer".  With that checked, suddenly the new custom path tool will load.

I had this problem for a while, and Shutterfly's customer support was not helpful - they only suggested the basic stuff about checking cache/firewall/etc and ignored a lot of the information I gave them about the problem.  Unfortunately the actual problem is that their tools are designed in such a way that you have to reduce the privacy and security of your computer to use them.  Hopefully they'll fix this problem in the future.

• Roger (Worthy)
      Thanks for your feedback Justin. It will be invaluable to us to try to assist others with this and similar problems.

I'm also happy that you can now use the Custom Path facilities.

I'd like to make two points.

Firstly, when we are trying to assist other users to overcome their problems with Shutterfly we have no idea what the condition of their computer is. By recommending that users do some basic housekeeping we try to get to a more predictable common position before we start to look at other possible remedies. Incidentally, these measures often fix the problem being investigated.

Secondly, if your computer has somewhat higher security levels than the "default" situation which causes this problem to occur we have no way of knowing this. If Shutterfly needs, for some reason, to have access to your hard drive that's up to them. This is not something that is likely to be "fixed" any time in the future.

One of the things that we are aware of is that most of these situations are few and far between. Most Shutterfly users have no problems at all with the Custom Path facilities. If this was not the case this forum would be full of users complaining about this problem. To my knowledge, there have been no more than 3 or 4 since June 2011.

Again, thanks for your feedback.. Roger. A Shutterfly User.

• Justin Greer

Hi Roger.  Thanks for the response.

The problem, however is that 1) many guides for setting appropriate security settings on your system tell you to disable this setting, and 2) it's not a matter of accessing a hard drive or specifically allowing Shutterfly's tools access.  So not only is it more common than you'd think for people to turn this off, it's also a REALLY good idea.  This setting specifically allows third-party tools (such as ad networks) to store data and track what websites you visit, so long as those are pages they advertise on, and slowly to build an identity of you.

Either way, at least there's a solution, and I know how to turn the setting on when I want to use Shutterfly, and turn it off again when I want privacy.  So for now I'm satisfied.