Tips & Tricks

Tips & Tricks of using Shutterfly

This is a public Forum  public

Topic

Roger Worthington
    One of the stronger features of the Shutterfly system is...
    Topic posted September 20, 2009 by Roger WorthingtonShutterfly Enthusiast, last edited July 11, 2014 by Roger (Worthy)Shutterfly Master 
    4449 Views, 9 Comments
    Content:
    One of the stronger features of the Shutterfly system is that it allows Widgets.
    · A widget is A small software device or control; a software gadget.
    · Widgets allow you to add features to your site which are not part of Shutterfly.
    · Widgets are generally free of charge but often have a “Pro” version for which a fee is charged. Free widgets might be funded by advertising.
    Examples of a widget are:
    · Displaying the local and other times in Shutterfly
    · Playing music on a Shutterfly page
    · A local or remote weather forecast.
    · A visitor IP address identifier or counter.
    To find a widget that will do something for you just do a search for say “ Widget weather forecast”
    This will give you a list of widgets which do this job.
    I also use this site to select widgets: http://www.widgetbox.com/home/
    The widget site will give you some code which might look like this:
    http://widgetserver.com/syndication/flash/wrapper/InsertWidget.swf"; name="InsertWidget_57c81e04-d6fa-4534-a356-4619556acae5" width="100px" height="71px" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" align="middle" allowscriptaccess="never" flashvars="r=2&appId=57c81e04-d6fa-4534-a356-4619556acae5" allownetworking="internal" />
    You will need to copy and paste that code into your widget space generated below.
    Try them and select the best one for you.
    To insert a widget in Shutterfly you will have to set up a new section on one of your Shutterfly pages and select More > Widget.
    Then you simply paste in the HTML code which the widget has generated for you. And save the code.
    Please add your experiences with Widgets to this thread.
    Roger

Comment

• HenryB
      In additions to adding features, the Widget section of Shutterfly allows you to customize your site by adding your own HTML code. Please see my HTML code page which gives the HTML code I have added to Widget sections on my web site to customize it. My customizations includes adding links to pictures and modifying the font of text and links. Additionally, I added link buttons at the bottom of my site pages to allow navigating the site without having to return to the top of a page. Currently, my site has 16 visitor and member viewable pages and 2 owner only pages.
    • Carrie Moley

I guess it is not possible to restore a default Shutterfly widget once it is removed from the landing page? Our team mom accidentally deleted our Key Contacts widget and we would love to get it back if there is any way to do so.

I had hoped that the default widgets would be listed in the Add > Section window, but apparently the warning is true: deleting a widget cannot be undone.

Any way around this?

Thanks,

Carrie

• HenryB

Shutterfly keeps backups of all share sites I think for 45 days. Thus, it may be possible to get the deleted item back. Please contact Shutterfly's Customer Service because they have the ability to restore from backups.

Customer Service: http://shutterfly-2.custhelp.com/app/ask/

Or,

Email: customerservice@cs.shutterfly.com

Phone: 1-888-225-7159
      Monday - Friday: 6am - 5pm Pacific Time
      Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 5pm Pacific Time

Also, it's not a good idea to piggyback on an older postings as you did here because your question might not be seen.

• Carrie Moley

Thank you so very much HenryB! I can see that you deserve your "guru" status, and I will start a brand new post should I have a question in the future.

Best regards,
      Carrie

• Linda Del Favero

I have been unable to add a widget to a section because the word "widget" is not listed under "more," so I am assuming shutterfly has deleted this option.  I added two last year, but now am unable to add any, which I find irritating.  The list runs from pictures to google and no matter how many times I reread it, widget has done a disappearing act.  Thanks for the widgetbox link.       Linda

• HenryB

Hi Linda,

You have to scroll down to see "Widget".

HenryB (A Shutterfly user)

• Roger (Worthy)

It's nice to see these old threads resurrected occasionally.

I started this thread in a different life when I used another e-mail address and ID.

I think I've had at least 3 ID's in this forum over the years. I'm a bit like the cat with 9 lives really. Smile

Just to save you any more searching Linda, there is also a scroll bar on the Collaborate Tab which reveals a further 5 Section Types.

Roger. A Shutterfly User.

• Ken Minasian

Roger, There is no more 'scroll bar' on the Collaborate Tab  with 5 sections. I am a new site owner with Shutterfly

and I have not seen that bar on my panel.  Thought you'd like to know.

Ken M.

• Roger (Worthy)

Ken,

Nothing seems to have changed for me when adding a new Section.

See the attachment.

Roger A Shutterfly User.