Photo Books

Need help with your book? You've come to the right place!

This is a public Forum  public

Topic

Angela Hoover
    Photo book won't save or order
    Topic posted May 22, 2012 by Angela HooverJunior Member , last edited June 1, 2012
    6665 Views, 53 Comments
    Title:
    Photo book won't save or order
    Summary:
    Shutterfly won't save or order photobook
    Content:
    <p>I've literally spent weeks on a photobook for my&nbsp;father for father's day and for some reason,&nbsp;I can't order it.&nbsp;Not only that, when I open Shutterfly in another browser or even a different computer, I find that my changes haven't been saved. I have a coupon that expires today, and since it's almost 10:00 pm I'm feeling a little upset. I've been trying for hours to fix this. I have no idea what I can do. Has anyone had this problem? It's my first time creating a photo book and I'm so frustrated I almost feel like crying! I know that's silly, but I've worked so hard and I feel like it's about to be for nothing. How can I fix this?</p>

Answer

• Angela Hoover

Wow. I was so frustrated that I wrote a post before looking at others. this has been going on since June. For some reason, I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one. However, I kind of agree with someone who said it's ridiculous that nothing has been done to fix this problem. Thinking I might not want to deal with this kind of thing again. Sorry Shutterfly :(

• Joey

Hi Angela,

Sorry to hear of your issues. I know how frustrating it can be. Since you tried a different browser and different computer - I would suggest calling Customer Service. Maybe they can extend your coupon; not guarenteeing it but worth a shot.

Have you tried to restart computer? I know it sounds silly but it is something simple that does seem to work. I wish it would work for you.

Joey
      A Shutterfly User

• Debbie Sullivan

i have spent all day ...making / saving my book ...now i have spent the past 4 hrs...trying to order the darn thing...its all saved...but will NOT ORDER..i have made over 100 things on shutterfly..have always had books somehow deleted when i was done...after spending a good 40 hrs. making..i have gone through sooooo much over the years with all i have made and it seems since they started this custom site...all the problems have begun...

i have till the 29th...and am really getting frustrated ...when the little help box comes up to talk to someone live during the day...i can't get anyone at night...frustrating...capital F....

i have so many books and have

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM ORDERING....THIS IS BIZARRE....HELP....SHUTTERFLY....YOU ARE KEEPING ME UP WAY TO LATE...

• Shannon

Hi Debbie - what's the  name of the book? I'll take a look.

• Shannon

Hi Debbie - I'm looking at a 20 page 8x8 book that is the most recent updated in your account. There were quite a lot of warnings in the book...I noticed many photos were blurry and are probably low resolution. Regardless, the book is waiting in your cart now, set to be sent to your address. Let me know if you have any other issues. Live chat should be available in the evening hours.

• Katie Leppla

I am having this exact same problem. I spent a lot of time on a photo book to be given out to customers and I have tried ordering it on multiple occasions on three different computers. I've ordered a book before and it worked so I know that my account is not the problem

• Shannon

Hi Katie,

I'm not sure why you weren't able to order it. I was able to add the Napa book to your cart, where it's sitting right now ready. You mention the book is to be given out to customers, so you are maybe in need of more than 1 book. If you go to your cart, you can click "review/change" to add additional copies to the cart. Hope that helps!

• McKayla Gilkey

Could you please fix mine?! it wont save.

• M-O-T

McKayla

Please be more specific to your problem and post it at the end of this thread so that it can be seen.  Notice the date of the post that you have replied to here and understand that when one opens this post they usualy go to the bottom of the thread to look for new posts or replies.

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Rhonda Mills

I can't order my photo book either and the coupon expires today. Help!

• M-O-T

Rhonda

contact Costumer Service

Contact by Email, Chat with Live Help or give a call at Phone: 888.225.7159.

Hours of operation are:
          Monday - Friday, 6am - 9pm Pacific Time and Saturday - Sunday, 8am - 6pm Pacific Time

Good Luck

M-O-T

• Angela Hoover

For anyone who has a similar issue, here's the end to my photo book story. I wrote customer service that night and received a prompt reply the following morning telling me to update my flash player. I did this, and that seemed to solve the purchase problem (getting the book into the shopping cart). Unfortunately, when I went to the customer service page I lost everything I did on the book that hadn't been saved. I never got another response from shutterfly (despite trying twice to contact them about the coupon and whether or not I could recover the book that was lost) and I find that to be a wee bit frustrating. More than a wee bit, if I'm to be honest. However, half my book was still there, so I recreated the pages (to the best of my ability) and ordered the book. I'm not sure why the book stopped saving half way through, but maybe if I had updated my flash player from the beginning it wouldn't have been a problem. I have no idea, but if you're having similar issues, try that first.

• Joanne Lavelle

I have had the same problem with my last two books.  I am working on another right now and I cant get it into the cart.  One more chance Shuttterfly.  You need to fix this problem.  I (we the consumer) have spent too many hours making my book perfect, only to get frustrated at the end of the project.  

• Caitlin Bradley

I have this exact same problem except for the book I've been working on for hourse won't show up AT ALL in my projects and the stupid call center is closed! I guess I won't be orderiing any photobooks again. This is really upsetting spending hours to make something only to have no way of saving or ordering.

• HenryB

Hi Caitlin,

Which browser are you using? Are you using the latest version of Flash for your browser? Have you tried a different browser? Are you getting any error messages?

Yesterday, I saved a book and noticed that the cover background was gone. I closed all tabs and all copies of my browser which is Firefox 12. I checked the processes in Windows Task Manager to ensue Firefox was no longer running. I then restarted Firefox. When I logged back into Shutterfly, my book project looked the way I saved it. That is, the cover had it's background.

Thus, what appeared to be a Shutterfly issue was really a browser issue.

Because I've seen strange things in the past caused by my browser, my policy is to restart the browser first when I see anything wierd.

Even if you have not saved your project, the project should auto save if it is a New Custom Path book. I don't know about Simple Path books. In fact, I was in the middle of working on a New Custom Path book when my computer crashed with the blue screen. When I got everything back running and opened my book, I was asked if I wanted to work on the copy with unsaved changes. Thus, I lost nothing.

HenryB (A Shutterfly user)

• martha mccune

I got one of the free photo books from the Ellen show and I too worked on it and saved it and i cant pull up my saved work.  It is supposed to be done by the 31 st!

• HenryB

Hi Martha,

What do you mean by "can't pull up my saved work"?

Do you mean that you open the book and the changes are not there or do you mean you go to your "My Projects" page and you do not see the book you saved?

What browser are you using? Have you tried completely shutting down your browser and restarting it before looking for your saved book.

What else have you tried?

Please remember that this is a users' forum which is mostly monitored by other Shutterfly users such as me. This is especially true for US national holidays such as today.

Since I don't have access to your account or your projects, I can only help you if you provide more information about your environment and your issue.

Please note that up until 30 minutes ago, I was working on a New Custom Path book. While I was working on it, I saved and exited the project several times. I didn't see any problems with the save or accessing the changed/saved book.

• Joey

I have also been working on a photo book in All New Custom Path. Sometimes IE gives me isssues, so I try to switch to another browser before I start up.
      Otherwise i have had no issues.

Joey
      A Shutterfly User

• Caitlin Bradley

Okay solved the problem! After I made my entire book and it wouldn't save I had to remake the entire thing in IE and it finally worked and went through. I would definitely recommend using MyPublisher to make a photobook, much easier! 

• Angela Hoover
         I think I'll try that next time. I've never made a photo book and am only familiar with shutterfly, but after not being able to purchase my completed book and then having half of it erased, all while not being helped by customer service besides an e-mail saying, essentially, "this might help, but besides that, we don't know what to do, sorry", I was not impressed. Oh, and the email days later saying "we see you fixed the problem, great". Having to recreate fifteen pages wasn't really the solution I was looking for. But I'm excited to hear of another service like shutterfly. Do you know of any other websites that are similar?
        • HenryB

Hi Angela,

I suggest you do a Google search for "photo books". Additionally, I think some stores have a computer with photo book software. I'm pretty sure I saw this at Walgreen's. I'm not going to comment about your help desk experience.

However, I would like to share an answer to a email question I received.

"I'm not seeing the problems others are reporting. However, the Shutterfly photo books are now very Adobe Flash intensive. Thus, I think a lot of issues are that people's Flash is not up to date. Additionally, the browsers are more complicated these days and I think the quest for speed has made them more susceptible to network issues.

I mostly use Firefox (currently 12.0) for accessing Shutterfly and creating books. At times, I will see an unusual response from the browser when accessing Shutterfly and/or other sites. My practice now is to close the browser completely and restart it whenever I see something strange. I've also noticed that some of these strange responses seem to correspond to when Firefox rolls out an update.

I think this because, when I restart Firefox,I often see a message about an update being installed. I suspect the update roll out is somehow messing with the browser's existing communications.

Thus, my advice is to (1) restart your browser or reboot your computer before working on a book; (2) Save often; (3) Save as a new version when making major changes; (4) keep your computer updated with the latest versions of the browser and Adobe Flash. I've created 21 New Custom Path books so far and, as stated above, I'm not seeing the issues.

Finally, I periodically power cycle my router leaving it off for 15 seconds to clear the router's cache because I've seen many strange things clear up after a router power cycle."

Good luck.

• HenryB

Hi Caitlin,

I have to disagree with you. I used "My Publisher" some years ago and switched to Shutterfly because of more features and because I think it is better. Also, I have never lost any data added to a New Custom Path book. Thus far, I have completed 21 New Custom Path books and I have not had a problem ordering any of them.

• Joey

Good info Henry. I have not had any issues thus far and i just finished a book a few days ago. I do often times get "update Adobe Flash". I know it is updated, so i switched to another browser and it works fine. I was able to finish my book, I saved several times after each thing I added, and I was able to order just fine.

Good luck to everyone. Sorry for your issues and frustrations; personally i am very pleased with Shutterfly and its products - I have made about 10 books in the all new custom path.

On a side note, Henry do you know if Adobe can be downloaded on a Kindle Fire? I was trying to last weekend and it seemed to work. Although i still was unable to open my book i was working on. The screen may be too small to see it vs my computer.

Joey
      A Shutterfly User

• HenryB

Hi Joey,

Yes, I can view and edit my New Custom Path books on my Kindle Fire. However, I don't recommend it because of the small screen. Actually, Adobe Flash is installed, but turned off.

I search the customer discussion topics on the Amazon site and found the following answer which worked for me: 

"When you start up your Kindle Fire, tap Web and go down to the bottom of the screen and tap the Menu Icon. Select Settings. The second listing under Behavior is "Enable Flash". Tap on it. You can select to have it Always on, On demand or Off. I set mine to On demand because I have learned that it slows the browser down if it is not needed. The recent software update 6.2.2 turned it Off."

HenryB

• Dora Olmstead

I just spent a few minutes with a tech person. The problem was temporarily fixed. 2 pages later I am dealing with the same problem again...won't save my work or pics uploaded.  Last time I'll be using Shutterfly.